We’ve discussed Twitter countless times on this blog, and I’ve just realised that we haven’t covered the basics: How to sign up to Twitter. Here’s some instructions!
1. Go to the Twitter Home page and press the sign up button on the right hand side. This is what it looks like:
2. Next you’ll be on the ‘Create an Account’ page. It looks like this:
For Full Name and Username you’ve got a few choices. You need to decide who you are Tweeting as. Will your account be:
a) Personal (EG ‘Ken Builder’). In this case put your first and last name in and, and for a username write your name straight through. If it looks better seperate your first and last name with an ‘_’ underscore.
b) Business (EG WebEden). In this case put your company name in as full name, and for username write your company name again.
c) ‘On behalf of’ (EG Ken Builder on behalf of WebEden). In this case put your actual first and last name, and add your company name as the username.
Keep the names as short as possible – it will give you more space to Tweet with!
Make sure you include your current email address as this is where your notifications and password reminders will be sent to.
3. Then you get onto a stage where Twitter can search your Gmail, Yahoo or AOL mail accounts to see if any of your contacts are already on Twitter. Here’s what it looks like, but I’d skip this step if I were you!
4. Next up you can look for high profile users of Twitter who you might want to follow. This is what it looks like, but I’d skip this bit too!
5. And that’s it. You’re on Twitter! Time to experiment…
I’m not going to talk here about what to do, what to say, and who to follow, except to explain the links across the top of the page that look like this:
Here’s what these all mean:
Home: This is where all the Tweets of everyone you’re following plus your own will appear.
Profile: This is where all your Tweets will appear
Find People: This is where you can search for other users of Twitter, and follow them. Try searching for webeden!
Settings: This is where you can:
- Change your Username and Passwords
- Add your website address
- Add a 160 character biography about yourself
- Change Your Background
- Add Your Photo (if its a personal account use your own photo, if its a company one use your logo)
Now that you’ve signed up why not follow WebEden on Twitter?
Leave a comment if you’re having any trouble signing up.