Webeden is proud to announce that as from today you will be able to create new Webeden sites using Version 6 of our software. V6 is the latest update to our software which allows you to publish your Webeden site in glorious HTML5. Why is this so great you ask? Well it will allow your viewers to see your site with less noticeable difference on devices that do not support Flash. So you will be able to view your site as you would on iPad or iPhone (or any mobile device that supports HTML5) as you would on your desktop or laptop.
First of all we would like to thank all our valued and loyal Webeden customers who have stuck with us while we prepared the update. We fully sympathise with your frustrations you had with us caused by delays and further delays and then lack of information regarding when this release would finally arrive.
Please note, while we have tested V6 rigorously it is not yet feature-complete. Version 6 does not yet offer a blog, forums or membership features. These will be added later with future updates of our software. In the meantime there are workarounds, details can be found in our FAQs section.
So what else does Version 6 bring?
While Version 6 give you the ability to publish newly built sites in HTML5, it also allows you to Migrate old V5 sites to the new V6. As this involves changing from the old format to new, you willbe required to do some reformatting and editing post-migration. As stated earlier, some features of V5 are yet to be available with V6 so it will be up to you whether to make the switch now and use the workarounds? Or wait till V6 gets updated with the features included.
New Footers have been added. This enables users to add a footer that appears constantly throughout your site.
What are the benefits of Version 6?
Well it allow you to view sites created using V6 to look the same across different devices, including tablets and smartphones, as they will be published using HTML5. However this is not the only benefit. It provides faster renering, more options for formatting text, new menu widgets and many more other feature improvements.
So how will this effect me?
This update will effect customers differently. If you are new to Webeden or create a new account with us, you will be given no option but to use the new improved V6 of our software. If you have existing V5 sites and you create a new site you will see the new V6 templates and can build using V6. If you login to edit your old V5 sites you will see the addition of a migrate button in the tool bar. You can then go ahead to preview your migrated site before committing. Please be aware that if you do choose to migrate your site from V5 to V6, the process is not reversible.
So what features are not available/won’t work in Version 6?
As mentioned earlier, there are some features which are not yet available with V6 which are available with V5. For existing customers please take note of these before making the decision in migrating your site.
- Forms – currently due for a future update (or customers can use Wufoo Smart widget or embed forms from Google Drive using the HTML Snippet widget)
- Blog – Coming soon. For customers migrating V5 to V6, the blog page will be published but with no content. The latest version of your blog will be stored and we hope to enable your blog to be imported once the feature is released.
- Image effects – These can be replaced by static images.
- Membership – Site Admin restrictions are still available – depending on your package. General page restrictions to visitors, members or groups is due for a possible Q4 2013 release.
- Slideshow – Another feature set for a future release.
- Crop tools – We recommend that customers crop their images prior to uploading them to your site using third party image editing tools or applications such as Microsoft Paint, or Paint.net
- Juke Box – We recommend using Soundcloud.com
- One Track – As above or you could use spotify.com to embed a single track or an entire playlist.
- Chat Widget – chatango.com
- Tables – Spreadsheets (along with PDF, docs and more) can be uploaded to issuu.com who can then provide an embed code.
- Forum – tal.ki can be used as an alternative.
If you currently use any of these features with your V5 site. You will have to decide whether to migrate now or wait. These features will be added over time with future releases to V6.
So when will these remaining V6 features be available?
We plan to bring these features over the course of this year and into 2014. We do not have any exact dates but will try to update you when we can. We appreciate your patience.
Can I preview the changes to my V5 before migrating to V6?
Yes. You will be able to see (but not edit) and navigate a V^ version of yor site before deciding whether to migrate or not. You can test what works and what doesn’t. Please note that once you do migrate to V6 there is not turning back, so please make sure you are ready.
What about the old mobile version and editor?
These will still be available and can be edited accordingly.
Is the V6 editor powered by HTML5?
No. The software is still powered by Flash. So to access your Webeden account or to edit your site, you will still need to do this via a device that supports Flash.
We would like to thank you again for patience and support over the years. While this version of our software is by no means finished, we do hope you continue using Webeden to build your new sites.
Just a quick note, while we do endeavor to try and keep all the information accurate, the dates we provide are only there as guidance and deadlines are sometimes not met. We do apologise for frustration caused by delayed releases, but we assure you we do try our up-most to stick to them.